Assignment Title — Culturally Safe Practice And Mental Health
Activities to be Completed:
Listen to the audio Me describing Justin’s story and review figure 6.2(https://aboriginal.telethonkids.org.au/media/54874/chapter6.pdf)
2. How may Justin’s cultural interpretation of mental illness be different from your own?
3. Identify how your own attitudes and values relating to mental illness may influence any communication with Justin?
4. How can partnerships with Justin and his immediate and/or extended family be developed and maintained throughout his journey of care.
5. What needs to be happen to ensure culturally safe care for Justin once he is hospitalised?
6. From the informaton in the Mental Heath Assessment and Mental State Examination. what are the identified areas of concern an the priorities of care planning for Justin?
7. Read the 1:1 intervention notes and identify the communication skill that are allowing the health professional to talk with Justin in a culturally safe framer.
8. Review the discharge plan and 3 month review and consider how Justin can be Supported to maintain his well-being when he has returned to his family and community.
9. After considering the issues for Justin, reflect on your own experiences of relating to people from different cultural. Consider what you have learnt from Justin’s Mary and now your new knowledge might influence your practice.
10. What else do you need to learn/do to be able to deliver culturally safe healthcare In future practice?